The next coat of arms in the church at Jamestown is a memorial plaque dedicated to the memory of Major General Daniel Gookin (1612-1687). The plaque was placed at Jamestown by the Massachusetts Society of the Colonial Dames of America.
In the summer of 1643 he emigrated to Maryland, and acquired land near the South and Severn Rivers, near Annapolis. Gookin sailed for Boston in May 1644 with his family, and in 1648 moved to Cambridge. Beginning in1652 he was elected an Assistant, one of the Council of eighteen magistrates to whom, with the Governor and a Deputy Governor, the government of the colony was entrusted, and was re-elected to this position almost continuously for a period of thirty-five years. He served Cambridge as Selectman from 1660 to 1672, and was appointed the first Superintendent of the Praying Indians (Native American converts). In this capacity he traveled to Indian settlements, often accompanied by his friend Rev. John Eliot, Sr, the “Apostle to the Indians”. Gookin wrote two books on the Native Americans: Historical Collections of the Indians in New England (completed in 1674, published by the Massachusetts Historical Society, 1792), and The Doings and Sufferings of the Christian Indians (completed in 1677, published in 1836). He wrote also a History of New England, but only fragments have survived.
2 days ago