January 25, 1839
On this day in 1839, the Republic of Texas Congress adopted the Texas coat of arms -- a white star of five points on an azure ground encircled by olive and live oak branches. The national seal bore these arms encircled by the words Republic of Texas. In 1845 the designation was altered from Republic to State.
This photograph of the carved Texas coat of arms in the Life Science Library at the University of Texas in Austin can be found on-line (along with a few other coats of arms from Texas history) at: http://www.utexas.edu/tours/mainbuilding/interior/library/coatofarms.html
Post a Comment