Today we finish our look at the stall plates of the knights of the Order of the Golden Fleece at the Chapter held in St. Bavo's Cathedral in Ghent, Belgium, in 1445.
Guilbert de Lannoy, Seigneur of Villerval and Tronchienes: Or three lions rampant sable (should be vert) langued and crowned a bordure engrailed gules overall a label of three tags azure [see also photographs numbers 4, Baudouin de Lannoy, and 6, Hue de Lannoy];
Jehan, Seigneur of Comines: Gules a chevron or between three escallops argent a bordure or;
David de Brimeu, Seigneur of Ligny: Quarterly: 1 and 4, Argent three eagles displayed gules beaked and membered sable; 2 and 3, Argent a bend gules [see also photos numbers 4, Florimond de Brimeu, and 10, Jacques de Brimeu];
(partial) Roland d'Uutkercke, Seigneur of Hemsrode and Herstrunt: Argent on a cross sable five escallops or. [See also photo number 12, below.]
Roland d'Uutkercke, Seigneur of Hemsrode and Herstrunt: Argent on a cross sable five escallops or [also on photograph number 11, above];
Charles, Duke of Orleans and Valois: Azure three fleurs-de-lis or overall a label of three tags argent; and
(partially obscured) Philip the Good, Duke of Burgundy [see photograph number 13, immediately below].
Philip III (the Good), Duke of Burgundy, Lothier, Brabant, and Limbourg, Count of Flanders, Artois, and Palatine Burgundy (and more, hidden by the shelf; he was also the Grand Master of the Order of the Golden Fleece at the time of this Chapter): Quarterly: 1 and 4, Azure semy-de-lys or a bordure compony gules and argent; 2, Per pale, Bendy or and azure a bordure gules, and Sable a lion rampant or; 3, Bendy or and azure a bordure gules, and Argent a lion rampant gules crowned or; overall an inescutcheon Or a lion rampant sable langued gules.
Alfonso V, King of Aragon and Naples: Or four pallets gules (Aragon).
This concludes our review of the stall plates of the VII Chapter of the Order of the Golden Fleece held in St. Bavo's Cathedral, Ghent, in 1445.
Next time, the stall plates from the XXIII Chapter of the Order, held here in 1559.
Post a Comment